6068 S. Sheridan Rd. Tulsa, Ok. 74145 (918) 493-1136 (888) 543-7004 E-Mail
Webmaster's note: don't miss Scissors, page 2!
Welcome to our "Scissors Heaven!"
We have an entire display case full of the most wonderful Solingen Steel Cutlery from Germany, unusual novelty scissors from France, top quality embroidery scissors from Italy -- just a wonderful array! We're highlighting a few here, and will be adding more to treat you! (I kind of have this "scissor thing"...)
Featured here some styles from: Gingher, Dovo, Wasa, and some French and Italian importers. (Many have no names, per se, and
since the invoices are often in German or Italian, I have no idea just what they call them! We just know that we LOVE them! So we've given all of them our own "SN numbers," to keep them straight!!!) I'll try to give you some info about each!!!
The DOVO scissor company is the oldest scissor company in Germany. It is located in the Solingen Valley of Germany... the best cutlery producing area in the world. Scissors bearing the words: "Solingen Steel," can only come from the Solingen region... I'd LOVE to tour the factory sometime.....
This is a fabulous line of scissors. They are all great to work with, they're sturdy, sharp, pretty, and just have the most wonderful "hand" to me. Every pair you pick up to try feels better than the last one! They have a "Satisfaction Guaranteed" guarantee, but you won't be disappointed! We have several styles, so here are some of them.
Announcing The Silver Needle's 35th Anniversary Scissors!|
A Trio of Limited Edition Gold Embroidery Scissors by DOVO
Directly from Solingen, Germany - Exclusive to The Silver Needle
To celebrate our 35th Year in business, we have commissioned three different styles of embroidery scissors from our favorite scissor manufacturer - DOVO - of Solingen, Germany! What a fun Birthday Celebration for us.
We chose three super-favorite styles that DOVO has never produced in their brushed gold finish before. The scissors will never be available to anyone else... they are exclusive to The Silver Needle ONLY! It is our One-Time 35th Anniversary... so once they are gone, they will be gone forever!
The DOVO company has been manufacturing fine cutlery for almost 140 years. The embroidery scissors they make are painstakingly precise in measurement and balance. Their tips are sharp - be careful - you can cut yourself with these! The cutting action is soooo smooth - something about the featured brushed finish of our Anniversary Set feels like nothing else. DOVO scissors are simply lovely to look at, hold and use! These are definitely a treat for any stitcher!!!
Our scissors are forged from Stainless Steel, machine and hand-honed into perfectly smooth pieces. Treated to a "Gold Plating Bath," we end up with beautiful, sleek cutting instruments for our needlework. Since these styles were never *in the production schedule* till we commissioned them (it took 2 years to get to this point!)... they are being made NOW... only for us!
Presenting our 2019 Anniversary Scissors: The Antonia, Margaret and Pauline. Named after my Grandmother, Aunt and Mother, we named our scissors so they'd be easy to identify... and not be just more 'pretty faces' in the world of scissors! Here we go:
So... Treat yourself to perfectly lovely needlework scissors. I am sure you have lots of fun designs in your stash to stitch fobs or scissor cases for them... if you don't... we can help with that, too!
- Antonia - A sleek and slender 4-inch stainless steel scissor... over the years we have had this style in other finishes, but never the gold plated and then brushed finish that gives these such an elegant patina. Antonia's blades are 1-1/2 inches long. While this style is only 1/2 an inch longer than the more prevalent 3-1/2 inch styles... that extra half-inch REALLY adds a lovely feel. (Named after my maternal grandmother - Antonia was actually very short and stocky by the time I was old enough to know and love her. She came from Slovenia at age 18 to marry my grandfather. They were separated for the first night by the gate at Ellis Island!) $80.
- Margaret - Wow... this is a wonderful little 3-1/2 inch scissor. The blades are CURVED. NO... you don't get a 'curved cut' -- remember there just a razor-sharp, and very thin edge that is touching your threads as each is cut! The scissors are straight, but the blades curve 'up' a little, which gives your hand much more room to 'get in there' to get a close cut. You can maneuver your scissors much closer to where you want to be. Might seem strange, but you'll love how they feel. Margaret's blades are only 3/4 of an inch long, but the length on the way to handles gives you lots of leverage, very precise and nice to use! (My Aunt Margaret wasn't the 'curvy type' gal... but she was the single sister, she had a glamorous job downtown, and spending the night at her house was the BEST! Together with my Mom, she loaned me my SN starter $$!) $80.
- Pauline - This is DOVO's most popular scissor style - they refer to these as their Extra-Thin-Tipped Hardanger Scissors. We have had them in brushed stainless, but never the exquisite gold before. Just stunning and a delight to work with, the super-fine and tapered tip is amazing... you'll recognize that the minute you try to cut something super close and fine. These are a perfect 3-1/2 inches in size! (Pauline was my mother - she was an awesome lady, totally fun to do stuff with. She used to come to Market with me in Silver Needle's beginning years, and like these scissors - she was my Favorite!) $80.
DOVO Curved Lefty Embroidery Scissors
Talk about Specialty Scissors... these are a wonderful new offering for left-handed stitchers ONLY! (Hey, check out that Left-Handed Stitch Diagram Book we have as well!)
DOVO of Solingen, Germany, has mastered their regular left-handed embroidery scissors into a slightly curved style, which is AWESOME to use! The slight curve to the blades gives your hand the room to get really close to the cutting area without your hand crushing, brushing, bumping, and smashing which you've already stitched on your fabric!
Just like cutting through hand-rolled butter... these are SUCH a delight to hold and flex! DOVO's brushed stainless finish, super-tapered hot-forged tips, the finger holes are generous, the finish is smooth, and the points and blades razor-sharp. Luscious!!!
DOVO SN19C 4-Inch Stainless Slender Scissors
We absolutely LOVE this style and size of embroidery scissor by DOVO. Available now in a shiny silver finish... you might have these in brushed gold or stainless finishes... but those are now sold out. Our SN20B are this scissor -- in a smooth black finish -- but those are now unavailable as well!
So... DOVO has re-released this popular style in the shiny finish... so get these while you can! They are 4-inch rather than the more traditional 3-1/2 inch, and you can really feel that when you cut. So smooth and sleek, there is just more room between your hand and fabric or threads... they feel so good. Nice thin and tapered blades as well.
We have three new DOVO scissor styles!!!!!
Solingen Steel from Germany, they are top-quality with smooth handle action and dreamy-sharp blades for precision cutting! We haven't had any new scissors for a while, so these are quite a treat. And... what stitcher can't use another pair of good scissors???
- SN2: Curved Serrated Embroidery -- A perfect 3-1/2 inch size for an embroidery scissor, these feature a brushed finish of stainless steel-- matte --- like Pewter. They are beautifully balanced and feature slightly curved blades. That curve gives your hand a bit more room to direct the points of the scissors right AT what you are cutting -- your hand is a little higher than your fabric and cutting surface. These blades are serrated -- ripply like a steak knife. You can feel that difference when you flex them -- it helps grip your thread and keep it from slipping along the cutting blades. A lovely little pair of scissors!!!
- SN3: Straight Classic Embroidery -- The same basic style as the Curved Serrated, only these are shiny stainless steel, and feature straight blades that are smooth and not serrated. Very nice balanced feel, they are so smooth to cut with! Also 3-1/2 inch in size, good sturdy little scissors.
- SN4: Curved Chunkies! These are a fun style!!! 3-1/2 Inches, shiny finish on stainless steel, they feel super-powerful in my hand. They have a nice weight to them and very chunky-wide sharp blades that are actually very thin. Slightly curved -- again, your hand isn't smashed against your needlework trying to maneuver your scissors -- since these are thin... the tips are right there to get a good snip. Slightly larger finger holes as well... they actually feel very nice!
And... The FANTASTIC Support Crew!
These are great! These quality Dovo scissors are smooth, functional, sturdy, very well balanced,
and have an unbelievable feel to their cutting action. I think the brushed steel finish just makes them "swoosh" when you flex them! The blades are all substantial, without being clumsy. I just love to watch customer's reactions when I give them these to try out! (One of the only times we tolerate moaning and groaning in the shop!)
#SN18: A 5" scissor... these are some of our favorites! Not the prettiest... but by far, one of
the best feeling styles in your hand. (I'm sitting here flexing them... and had to remind myself to get back to work!!!).
#SN19: The 4" version of our #17... a must for your stitching bag! A great little
scissor, the blade makes up half the overall length, so they give you lots of cutting power in a little scissor!.
SN19A Extra-Thin Tipped Scissors
Dovo has designed a new style of 3-1/2 inch scissor that is specifically designed for acute cutting -- such as Hardanger Embroidery. A familiar handle style we really like, notice the last centimeter of the blade... it is tapered quite a bit, so that the blade tips are very narrow... perfect for up-close cutting!
Dovo's lovely brushed stainless finish, the steel is strong and stable, and like all the rest, these 'swoosh' just like cutting butter! (What a messy idea!) Very sharp and thin tips... a lovely addition to the Dovo collection.
DOVO SN17A Extra-Heavy-Duty Stainless Cutters
Wow... these are an unusual shape piece... extra-large finger holes, wide, sturdy blades, with a slight curve to them... these feel very substantial in your hand, and cut like a dream!
Measuring the standard 3-1/2 inches in length, the brushed stainless finish feels so smooth, like pewter, and makes a silent 'swish' sound when you work them. Very unusual and serious scissors!!!!
Here are 2 favorites. Same style, different finish, these are so sleek! The finest cutlery,
these are 3 1/2", have fantastic sharp, narrow blades, and just feel like a dream! You're going to have to have all of them sooner or later!!!
#SN8D: Shiny Handles, Shiny Steel Blades.
#SN10: Brushed Stainless Handles and Blades: (A beautiful pewter-looking finish)
Classic Stork Designs:
The classic Stork design. Great finger holes, 1-5/16 blades, these are wonderfully sharp and a delight to cut with. Because of that extra inch of length, you have so much more room between your hand and the cutting -- it just feels less crowded!
DOVO brand scissors are made in Solingen, Germany and are our top-quality scissor brand. You will never go wrong with a pair of DOVOs... and hopefully, will treasure them forever!!!
Now we also have 6 1/2 inch storks! Same classic design as our smaller versions, these make quite the statement! They have a nice balance to them, so they actually are good for cutting! Even though they are large, they are NOT heavy-duty such as a sewing shear. The 'eye' is just one small, precision screw... so treat these with LOVE, just like your smaller embroidery scissors. (That means no paper and no electrical cords!... we hear all those stories!) Super-pretty in a sewing case or neat needlework shadow box display as well.
More Pretty DOVO Styles:
These are all top quality! None of them have names... we just refer to them as "that one... and that one!"
The others featured here have the gold plated handles, with steel blades, or are all stainless. They are all wonderful scissors you'll enjoy for years! All are 3 1/2 inches.
Beautiful Classic Scissors by DOVO
In all our recent scissor gatherings, DOVO sent this lovely pair that we have never had before! (Actually, they are already discontinued... and they sent these kind-of-by-mistake! I'm keeping the shipment and I ordered all the rest they had left!!!) Matching the SN14 we already have (shown above), this is the same style but in a 5-1/4 inch size!
Just a little longer than the 3-1/2 embroidery, they feel long and lean... and really nice to work with. Your hand isn't quite as close to the cutting blades and material/threads as the smaller ones. Same awesome DOVO quality... they feature gold plated handles. The 5-1/4 inch length is really fun to have in a sewing case or laying out beside a sampler - but embellish them with a stitched fob so they aren't undressed!
Dovo Crystal Nail Files
A 'bonus' from my German scissor manufacturer, DOVO, this is a 3-1/4 inch long glass nail file, that is absolutely wonderful to use! Because it's crystal, the file side will never dull. The grind is very fine... but really does a nice job. Just a perfect size for your purse or stitching bag, or even needlecase... these are functional and elegant! (My manicurist is from Germany, and she buys these from me each year at Christmas to give to the rest of her favorite clients! How's that for a testimonial?)
Presenting the 2019 Gingher Juniper Limited Edition Designer Scissors
Due to arrive any day, (August of 2019) this year's pretty, decorated Gingher Designer Scissors feature a floral medley of green, blue and white! They are available in:
4-inch Embroidery - suitable for snipping threads.
8-Inch Sewing Shears - designed to cut fabrics.
**NEVER paper with your Ginghers!**
Pretty to look at because of the enameled design finish on the handles, dreamy to use because they are so substantial in feel... you'll love these scissors!
The Limited Edition Gingher Eleonor Scissors and Shears!
Here are this year's special enameled-handle Gingher Scissors!
A fun and light-shaded pattern this year, Gingher is presenting their 8-inch Dressmaker Shear (now sold out), the 5-inch Sewing and the 4-inch Embroidery.
Super sturdy, dangerously sharp... you'll treasure your Ginghers for years to come!
SN21 The Buckingham
A delicate little 3 1/2" scissor... the lightest weight we have... these are truly breathtaking! Such a pretty presentation! They cut beautifully, but are not for heavy weight threads or fabrics!
These are a favorite for fancy needle cases and shadow box arrangements.
Several Luscious Scissor Arrivals by WASA of Solingen, Germany
What an exquisite treat we have in the shop!!! From the Solingen Valley of Germany, WASA is world-famous top-quality cutlery manufacturer -- a compliment to and competitor of DOVO! We have some new styles that we used to carry (but haven't been able to get for almost 10 years!) and some pretty new offerings!
Stainless steel, hand-forged, gold plating decoration, razor-sharp blades and tips, smooth and 'buttery' cutting action... just like our DOVO embroidery scissors... WASA delivers the excellence of German artistry you will LOVE! Each has the WASA name and Solingen embossed into the blades. Choose our Regular-sized leather sheaths for these -- not the Preemie/small size... the double-sized are OK... but a little large.
- SN52 Serpentine -- 3-1/2 Inches in length, another classic museum design, these are lovely, filigreed, delicate to hold and use -- just a treat! Stainless, with gold plating on the handles, they feel a little lighter in weight than the Cross Scissors -- blades are the same size though.
- SN51 Flattened Victorian Heart -- Another 3-3/4 Inch style -- I think these look like the Victorian pair, just a little flattened! The finger holes turn out to be JUST A TEENY bit larger than the Victorian, so they turn out to be a little more than 1/4 an inch wider, and they feel *really good!* The same pretty gold plating on the graceful handles.
Lovely 3-1/2 inch embroidery scissors, all are made in the Solingen Region of Germany... and area world-renown for top quality cutlery.
All feature stainless steel cutting blades, and gold plating... just lovely! Excellent cutting action, smooth blades, with nice, sharp tips!
Leather Scissor Cases
We have some really nice, soft leather scissor cases to PROTECT your good scissors. From the DOVO people, their logo is not on these, but there is a *D* embossed on them... so if you are a Dana, Diane or Deanna -- it's your lucky day!
Anyway, one for 3-1/2 inch embroidery and another slightly larger one for the 4-inch styles, the entire scissor will fit in here and stay secure because of the snap closure. Our smaller leather sheaths are nice for scissors, but these are even better for travel, long term storage, or just good protection in a busy sewing box or needlework tote!
Leather Scissor Sheaths
Thin, soft leather... the larger double sheaths hold two pair of scissors together! Measuring approx 4 inches long, they will hold scissors that are larger than the regular 3-1/2 embroidery size. Small, simple and functional!
Also featured are the new tiny size, and the regular.
There's even MORE!
6068 S. Sheridan Tulsa, Ok. 74145
(918) 493-1136 Fax: (918) 493-1933
Toll Free Order Line: (888) 543-7004
Store Hours: 10 -- 6 CST, Monday -- Saturday
Web Site Design and Maintenance by
© 2020 Silver Needle Ltd.
You may not reproduce, copy, or redistribute the design or layout of this web site, individual elements of the web site design, or Silver Needle images, designs, adaptations, charts, instructions or logos without the express written permission of Silver Needle, Ltd.
View our company's Privacy, Shipping and Return Policies
Prices are subject to change without notice.